Tuesday, September 05, 2006

ernesto strikes

With much needed rain and a cool breeze, Ernesto moved through on Friday. Left behind was a path of leaf destruction and a power outage in my neighborhood...what a surprise! Fortunately, as I mentioned earlier, I purchased an oil lamp for just such an occasion. Since I had never used one of these archaic devices, it took me a while to get it going (apparently, you have to let the oil soak into the cloth wick thingy which takes forever). Burning cloth also sets off fire alarms pretty easily, so if you have a hypersensitive one like I do, might want to rip it out of the socket and throw it at something before you proceed. Anyways, I survived my fourth night without power this summer with neither bumps nor bruises...and managed to read a few chapters of my latest book in the process :)

No comments: