Wednesday, February 08, 2006

insecurity

OK...so I am attending this conference at work on computer security...and of course parts of it are supposed to be secure. Basically, I hand over my drivers license, they look up my name on a piece of paper, and give me a little badge to wear.

So lets see...whats on this badge...a little printout of my name and company. On top of that, they put a little circle shaped sticker that is the color of the day. This sticker is supposed to signify that I have special clearance to attend the sessions.

Lets pretend I am not really Rodney, but instead Odney from some evil place and that I want to attend this gathering. I can walk in, look at somebody's badge, pretend I forgot something like my license in my car, go to Walmart, buy $2 worth of supplies, and have a badge ready to go in 5 minutes.

What is the point of all of this security if the people responsible for making things secure cant even run a conference right?

No comments: